Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Name of the Wind (Book Awards II Challenge #6 of 10)

I will admit, I was daunted when I checked out Patrick Rothfuss' Alex Award winning first book of the Kingkiller Chronicles. At 665 pages this book seemed like serious business. But then I started reading and was totally sucked in.

Kote is an innkeeper. A quiet man making a living in a way he seems to enjoy. He is new in town but the bargoers like him. Then Chronicler comes. He is traveling to find Kvothe, a near mythical magician. Some say he is an assasin, others say he is a hero, almost everyone believes he is dead. But Kote is Kvothe and the Chronicler convinces him to tell his story. Though very reluctant at first, Kvothe agrees. This book is subtitled Day 1 and is so because the story is from the first day of three in which Kvothe will let the Chronicler write his life. The condition Kvothe sets is "Do not presume to ch ange a word of what I say. If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way."

This first book covers Kvothe's childhood through his teenage years. His life is sad, dangerous, and unpredictable. But he is a fantastic character. He has amazing talents and obvious flaws. Through his interactions with the Chronicler and his student Bast he is portrayed as a wise but tired man running from his past but through his story he becomes an increasingly complex and fascinating. I have to say I am quite looking forward to the next book in the trilogy.

No comments: