Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet (Orbis Terrarum 2009 #2 of 10)

Jeeta has two older sisters which means she has to survive their husband hunts before its her turn, and she's in no hurry to have her parents arrange her marriage. Jeeta's mother tells her that her skin is too dark to make it easy to find her a man. Koyal dark (the koyal is a dark feathered bird) is no good.

Mubai, India is the setting of Kashmira Sheth's story about family and love and courage. It's about tradition and coming of age and making your own way. It read very quickly and I was dissapointed when it ended because I wanted to know more of Jeeta's story. The use of Hindi phrases was interesting but I couldn't always pull out of context what they meant. There is a glossary at the end but I hate breaking up my reading so I didn't look at it until the end. I would read another book by this author.

No comments: