Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (Book Awards II Challenge #4 of 10)

I wish I had lots of good things to say about Michael Chabon's novel about comic book creators Joe Kavalier and Sammy Clay. It's not that the book wasn't good...it just didn't interest me. It won all kinds of awards and receieved glowing reviews, but I wasn't taken with it at all. I think I read like 6 other books while I trudged my way through this one.

Joe Kavalier escaped from Nazi-occupied Czechsolvakia and made his way to America where he met up with his cousin Sammy Clay. The two of them together create a comic book character called The Escapist who is an outlet for Joe's hatred of Hitler and the Nazis. At once fiction and non-fiction, The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay describes a comic-book obsessed America during the 1940s and the lives of two young men who are trying to make their way in the world.

This novel won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

2 comments:

stacey @ bookthirty said...

I struggle big time with Michael Chabon. He is so well-loved that I think I ought to keep giving him a chance. I'm still on the fence! :)

TheChicGeek said...

I really struggled with this one too and finally put it down. I just couldn't get in to it. Funny how sometimes the award winners disappoint us. I guess that's what makes the world go round, something for everybody :)