Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seeker (Book Awards II Challenge #5 of 10)

Jack McDevitt's Nebula Award winning novel, the sequel to the also popular Polaris (which I have not read) is one of the first non-YA science fiction novels I've read in a long long time. And it was pretty fun. Chase (a female) and her partner Alex deal in antiques that they've basically looted from abandoned spaceships. When they find a 9000 year old cup which is linked to an almost mythological planet called Margolia, they embark on a mission to find it and the spaceship Seeker which brought colonists from earth thousands of years earlier. But not everyone is thrilled with the idea of making money off of antiquities...and some are willing to do more than just seethe at Alex and Chase's business ventures.

I have to say I was worried about getting into this book. It's just been a long time since I've done some real sci-fi but the characters were well drawn and the plot moved quickly. I hadn't read the first book but the story still made sense. I have a few more science fiction on my Awards Challenge list and I'm remembering that once upon a time I really did like this genre.

No comments: