Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Book Awards II Challenge #8 of 10)

Brian Selznick won the Quill Award and was a National Book Award Finalist for this novel in pictures and words. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, I haven't talked to anyone who didn't love it but I didn't understand how the pictures fit in. But now it is all clear to me. Obviously.

The story of Hugo Cabret is told with 284 pencil drawings, over half the book is taken up with them. But they are truly fantastic. Hugo lives in Paris in the walls of a train station where he takes care of the clocks. He steals his food and prizes a notebook above all else. But when he is caught stealing from a toy booth, the old gruff owner takes the notebook and tells Hugo to forget it. Unable to understand why his notebook has been taken, Hugo appeals to Isabelle, the owner's goddaughter to help him get it back. What unfolds next I will not say. But I will say I read through this book in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I read this one last year and really enjoyed this unique book.

1morechapter said...

This book is sooooo good. Glad you enjoyed it, too!